Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Post surgery - Day One

Yesterday was a surprise. I was expecting a whole different experience than what I got. Here's what I remember:

I got to the Outpatient hospital around 9am. By 10am I was marked up, in my gown and ready for surgery. I left the surgeon a little gift: I wrote a note on my stomach that said "Please make me look pretty". When he went to mark me up he laughed and said no one had ever done that before. (Always good to keep the surgeon laughing). The very nice nurses gave me the FIRST part of the IV...then NOTHING. I remember NOTHING!! Next thing I knew I heard the nurse say it's 1:00pm and surgery was over. Wow. I was expecting to at least remember the wheeling down the hall to the surgical room.

It was a rough day yesterday. The anesthesia wiped me out. I think I was awake for about an hour yesterday afternoon then back to bed.

Today is a WHOLE NEW DAY!!! I feel pretty good. I am NOT in a lot of pain, not having to take a lot of the pain pills. I'm shocked! I expected to be in a great deal of pain. They took 2lbs off of me for heaven's sake! The grossest (is that a word??) part is the drains. I have to empty them a couple of times a day. I get those out next week and can't wait for that. Until then, no showers. Yes, that means my friends won't come by to see me! Stinky!!! :)

I'm wrapped up with gauze and surgical sponges all over the place so I have NO IDEA what I look like under all of this. It's killing me. I'd like to see what was done. How I look. Do I look better? I do know, I'm DEFINITELY smaller!!!! I feel like I'm in high school. I can't remember the last time I looked down and saw my feet. LOL.

Looking forward to the rest of my life......thanks for reading.

4 comments:

vicky said...

wow...so exciting! I would be dying to get a peek too!! Here's to a fun filled shopping spree that I am sure you are about to do! :)
ps...I love your note to the surgeon. It's fun to mix it up for them.

Unknown said...

Hey Bren! So glad everything went well yesterday and that you are NOT in any pain. I hope things continue to heal well and that you're back in the pink sooner rather than later. Keep us posted!

El

Sophie said...

Bren, great to know that you are doing well. Know that we have saluted the "girls" several times here at HDI. Take care of yourself! Love you!

Unknown said...

Ok,What a wonderful gift you or giving your family your Health!. You Look great so great that when I saw your page on Face book I had to make sure it was you. best wishes on a speedy recovery.

Glen M